Monday, October 8, 2007

i have a plan

in case you were wondering, i don't plan on being a lady of leisure much longer. indeed, i have a plan. i know, i've had quite a few plans in the last few years. let's see....there was grad school for library science, there was talk of going back for psychology, then the law school ordeal. i can't even remember what i wanted to do when i was in college. i really don't think i had a plan. and here i am.

it's too hard to decide what to do for the rest of your life. how do people know? how do you guys do it? i can't commit. to anything. unfortunately, most of the careers that interest me require advanced degrees. going back to school = major commitment. therefore, i back out at the last minute. its the fear that gets me! though i think i was right to back out of law school. i'm pretty sure i would be miserable right now if i had gone through with it. 80 hours a week is no way to live. i like life.

here are a few things holding me back, careerwise:

1) i am a person divided. i have two sides that are in conflict with each other. i am artistic, creative, and bohemian, yet i have a nerd inside me too. i like geeky books and science and writing a lot. i was always afraid that an art job (like graphic design) would be intellectually unsatisfying. but a smarty-pants job (like law) would be missing the creative element. what's a girl to do. with such varied interests its no wonder i could never choose anything and go with it.

2) my parents. they are not terrible people, but they can be a little demoralizing. prestige is important to them. only respectable careers for our family. studying art in college actually caused a large rift between us. we didn't talk for awhile, i was cut off financially, and i ended up paying for my last few years of college. they were psyched about law school, of course, and ever since i told them that i wasn't going, my dad has been trying to get me to work for him. they have given up on me. they are not on board with the plan.

3) my perceptions. i think i've been a little silly about things. careers aren't permanent. they don't completely define you as a person. you still have your personality, friends, and home life. it's ok to choose something. i can change my mind.


i've decided to become an art teacher. i'm thinking elementary. it's not prestigious, it doesn't pay much, and i'm sure it's very challenging. however, i love kids, art, and the creative process. and summers off? heck yes. it's great for now. i'm letting my bohemian side win until i'm thirty. then i'll reevaluate my situation.

a goal for the future is to get into art therapy. i have taught art at scottish rite children's hospital before and seen the positive effects of art therapy. amazing. i do need grad school for this. hopefully after teaching for awhile, i can get my school to pay for my master's. yeah!

the plan is to enroll in the alternative certification program this summer. in the meantime, i dunno. office work? retail? whatev. i'm just killing time. my parents hate this plan. they think i'll never be able to retire. i'll be poor forever. just terrible.

i think it's a good plan.

8 comments:

Mayo said...

MAN, do I feel you on this. I wish I could commit to a something! Anyway this plan sounds great to me!

Kiddrae254 said...

"(like graphic design) would be intellectually unsatisfying.."

ouch!!!!!!

good plan, my friend Lena just started teaching art for the first time this year. I think you should chat with her.

tye.phoenix said...

i need to rewrite this.

instead of intellectually unsatisfying i should have said boring. that's what i meant. i was being pretentious. i do that.

and the only reasons it would be boring is that a) i'm too much of a nerd, and b) i'm really not talented enough to do anything interesting or worthwhile. issues with me, not the job.

i hope you weren't actually offended, that is the last thing i would want.

i need an editor :)

Kiddrae254 said...

haha I was not offended at all. graphic design can suck if your not in it to win it.

Anonymous said...

does it make you feel better that i'm not sure i have a plan at all anymore??...luckily, you will be awesome at whatever you choose of course :)

Milad H. said...

i love the plan! you're very talented and i know first hand how much you like to help people, so i think you'll love teaching! i say screw prestige. although it would be nice to make lots of money and flaunt it around at ghost bar and whatnot, life is all about happiness.

Kiddrae254 said...

I talked to Lena last night and she said she can prolly get you some sub work at her school if your interested.

Anonymous said...

Being a teacher is awesome. My advice is if you want to be a teacher, put your heart, soul, and mind into the kids....parents and administration be damned! It is way more satisfying that way. I wish their was an art opening at my school. oh, well. it's burleson too. plans change constantly, so don't sweat it. life changes constantly. I can't wait to see you tomorrow!